Money Saving Tips

Can anyone share their money saving travel tips? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Aussie Packing List for Hawaii

My biggest money saving tip is take your breakfast with you to Hawaii. Even if you are from overseas take a box of cereal or, in my case, I take a shaker and my protein powder. It’s a huge cost saving with breakfast costing up to US$50 a day (average around $30 in Waikiki from my experience). It means you can whip up your breakfast in your room once you grab your milk/nut milk from ABC, Food Pantry or Wholefoods which are all close by, then head out the door each morning ready to hit the beach or shops or your activity.

2 Likes

My other food saving tip is to grab meals from ABC stores. From sushi to salads and fruit cups you can get a delicious fresh and nutritious lunch for $3 - $9 instead of going to a restaurant and paying US$40 a person or more. Grab your lunch, go sit on the beach or cruise around the island. Take a small chiller bag with you in your luggage if you think you might do this.

2 Likes

From an accommodation perspective, choose a partial view. Or no view. You are in Hawaii and won’t be hanging in your hotel room - the beach and views are everywhere. Go for a hike to take photos, go up Top of Waikiki for dinner. Watch the sunset from the beach. It will save you potentially thousands.

2 Likes

Here’s a summary of scattered tips from other travelers…

• book all inclusive (covers hotel, food, excursions) http://www.all-inclusive-hawaii.com/ “they were wonderful”
  • watch for and ask about hidden fees when booking “cheap hotels”
  • if you go to Big Island, get beach gear from 2nd Wave in Keauhou Shopping Center
  • use VRBO/AirBnB to book holiday rentals
  • Book directly with an owner and save huge fees from VRBO/AirBnB, or through local renter company
  • Get a condo/rental with a kitchen and prepare most of your own meals, eating out adds up!
  • Go to ABC stores, Walmart, Safeway, Foodland, Costco, Don Quiote
  • Book a car with a local company, check Hawaii Discount Car Rental
  • Find free stuff to do
  • Walmart, Costco, Best Buy and Apple have “open box” return policies, if you have to… return at the end of your trip :slight_smile:
  • Go to to Costco, get cooler, pack sandwiches take stuff to the beach
  • Look for coupon books, especially in the magazine boxes on the side of the streets
  • Book trip through Costco “best deals we could get”
  • Watch hotel TV ads for deals
  • Go a few blocks away from the main strip, if in Waikiki, look on Kuhio Ave instead of Kalakaua
  • take some food from home, like tuna, crackers, muesli, tuts, Tim Tams
  • get the GyPSy app, read the guidebooks
3 Likes

-If you’re celebrating anything let everyone know because many times you’ll get free stuff/special treatment

-Sometimes when you book a compact car online with Alamo and set the pickup for 10am, they’re out of them by that time and will give you a free upgrade.

-Ask your hotel for a coupon book upon checkin

-Get 10% discount card at Macy’s, and then ask the cashier to use any discount codes from there website for EXTRA discounts. Many times they’re going on but are not shown in the store.

-Download Waikele Outlets App & get their free coupon book. Many of the coupons beat printed coupons. Show them on your phone to the cashier at checkout.

-When you order food, order less than you would at home, the portions are huge.

-Go to happy hours for dinner

-Waikele Outlets Kate Spade has 40% off storewide, and from Friday to Sunday they give an extra 25% off coupon when you walk in.

-buy liquor at the store and drink at the condo/hotel

-in Waikiki, accommodations on Kuhio Ave are cheaper than on Kalakaua Ave (along the water). Everything in Waikiki is walking distance from the beach, so don’t feel pressured to HAVE to be on the beach.

-check out Nordstrom Rack & Ross for clothing, much cheaper.

-ask your hotel if they do a free cocktail hour or any other free activities like hula lessons, yoga, etc.

-There’a Walmart close to Waikiki, across the street from Ala Moana. Much cheaper and they do have a local section.

3 Likes

• Sign up for Foodland grocery’s membership discount and you’ll save a lot. You’ll need to give them a mobile number at the register.

• Pack a chopping board, knife and snap lock bags so you can cut up fruit and carry snacks.

2 Likes

One of those cool biki bikes helped me save money for getting around the island in general. Plus this is eco friendly, great exercise (trust me), and cheaper than Uber.

Larry.

3 Likes

To save money on food & drink, here’s a list of Waikiki’s best happy hours hand picked by locals, and also a physical Waikiki Happy Hour Map you can pick up in Waikiki.

1 Like

use BIKI or BUS for transportation.

BIKI
$3.50 for 30-minute single ride.
$15 for one month of unlimited 30-minute rides.
*credit card only

THE BUS
$2.75 one way
$5.50 day pass (24 hours)
*bring exact change.
*buy day pass with the driver.

2 Likes

Good way to save money on Mcdonalds Meals…

Mcdonalds in Hawaii adds and extra $2.50 for small dish of pineapples.

Order meal without pineapples you save $2.50

pineapple%20at%20md

1 Like

or download the McDonald’s app to your phone for coupons.

1 Like