Local Food in Waikiki

What is Hawaii local food and where to find it in Waikiki? Are there any “must-eats?”

1 Like

There are quite a few “must-eats” in Waikiki. One place that immediately pops into my mind is Marukame Udon. It’s located almost in the very center of waikiki on the map and it’s on Kuhio Avenue.

They have the best udon noodles I’ve ever had and they make them right in front of you behind the counter. You can get the noodles Hot or Cold in different types of delicious broth. You can have different vegatables added in and even a poached egg. They also have a big grab-and-go selection of fried tempura foods (the fried tempura chicken is my favorite).

This spot is delicious, fresh, good on the wallet, full of different options, and very popular. Sometimes the line can go out the door but don’t worry because it moves very fast.

Seriously try this place.

1 Like

Another really good spot is Cheeseburger in Paradise. I believe there are two or three different locations in Waikiki. The one that I have been to many times is the one on Kalakaua Ave.

At first this may seem like your typical tourist trap spot and may be overhyped… but once you bite into any of there burgers you won’t care. I don’t know what there secret is in their burgers but I dream about them. It’s a little pricey but still similar to other upscale burger joints.

Have yourself a nice long fun day out in the sun at the beach and once you’re burnt and tired and looking for a filling dinner, take your family here!

1 Like

Make sure you go to Leonard’s Bakery and Rainbow Drive-in on Kapahulu Ave.

Leonard’s Bakery has the famous “malasada” doughnuts, which are buttery dough balls with gooey filling and a bucket of sugar on top.

Rainbow Drive-in is famous for heavy local food, like the loco moco, which is a bed of rice, hamburger patty, gravy, and a fried egg.

Grab a loco moco, malasada desert, and then pass out for a a few days.

2 Likes

I made this list by walking round Waikiki Beach and the surf shops asking locals what they recommend. It’s a truly local list.

IN WAIKIKI
Musubi Cafe
Sansei Seafood & Sushi
Arvo Cafe
Sansei Sushi
Doraku Sushi
Banan
Lanikai Juice
Teddy’s Bugger Burgers
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Coco Cove
Me Bar-B-Que
d.k Steak House
Mahaloha Burger

CLOSE TO WAIKIKI
Rainbow Drive-in
Genki Sushi
Uncle Bo’s
Diamond Head Grill
South Shore Grill
Pioneer Saloon
Fresh Catch
Ono Seafood
Cream 'N Roll
Nico’s Pier 38
Moku Catch
Da Spot Health Food & Juices
da Cove Health Bar & Cafe
Bogarts
Tamura’s Tavern
Koa Pancake
Aloha BBQ Grill
Lucky Belly
Liliha Bakery

BRUNCH
Sweet E’s
Cafe Kalia
Yogur Story
Bogarts Cafe
Cafe Morey’s
Scratch Kitchen
Like Like Drive-in
Downbeat Diner & Lounge
Koa Pancake

1 Like

Honolulu Tavern! Where they serve delicious $1.25 chicken tacos on Tuesday’s! Plus, Sunday funday includes the best $.50 wings you’ll find on the island; No sauce required, try the salt & pepper! It is one of the last & best happy hour, local talk story bars left from old Waikiki. A must visit on your list!

4 Likes

There is also a food truck lot next to Food Pantry at the corner of Kuhio & Kanekapolei, and one used to be on Beach Walk- does anyone know if the Beach Walk food trucks are still there?

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Local Food in Waikiki:

Aloha Lauren , Yes the food trucks are open daily from 10:00 a.m -10:00 p.m daily. The address is 234 Beachwalk ,Honolulu, Hi.The Pau Hana Market Waikiki. Some trucks have their own hours. You can google map this on you iPhone or android to direct you straight there. They offer no parking so you can easily do a Lyft or taxi. Or walk which ever you prefer. The 6 trucks offer a variety of delicious dishes to accommodate every walk of life. They offer 10 picnic style tables with umbrellas. And open air dining.
Have a beautiful day in Hawaii nei🤙

3 Likes