Cheap Eats - Waikiki

Where are some good places to eat on a budget?

0 Likes

If your quick on time and also on a budget I love going to the Musubi Cafe IYASUME on Kuhio Ave.

Musabi’s are an island staple and you can find them available at almost every shop… but this place has a fantastic recipe that sets it apart from others. The prices are great and you can usually find most musabi’s under 4$. One or two of those delightful spam and rice treats and you’ll be full of energy to grab your surfboard and hit the waves!

0 Likes

Aloha! This question just got me really excited, I love cruising Waikiki for food deals. There are a lot of small spots around town that are incredibly underrated. Here are my favorite spots for food on the cheap:

Ken’s Kitchen - quaint food truck located right behind Cuckoo Coconuts (333 Royal Hawaiian Ave). For about $12 you’re provided with delicious, melt in your mouth garlic shrimp, it comes with 2 sides and they give you a slice of local pineapple to make your meal even more special. Far from being fancy, they have a plastic table and chairs right by the truck but I recomend finding a nice bench at the beach to watch the surf while you enjoy your awesome food.

Marukame Udon Waikiki - 2310 Kuhio Ave. This udon house serves fresh, handmade noodles with broth and meat of choice. You are also able to add on all sorts of tempura to your plate prior to paying. This usually goes for around $11 with no additional tempura which they charge $1 or $2 a piece. While the line might scare you, this one moves very fast due to the good amount of seats they have in there.

Mami’s Empanadas - 2575 Cartwright Rd.Having lived in New York for years I really appreciate my Latin food. This food truck has delicious empanadas and arepas, Cuban sandwiches and even horchata! The owner also plays the part of chef and he is always warm and welcoming, never disappoints. Set of 5 arepas usually go for about $9.

Ramen Road - 2250 Kalakaua Ave.Located inside Waikiki Shopping Plaza, this is ramen heaven right here in Waikiki. With 5 different places to choose from, they’re all on the same price range of around $15 and they’re all pretty delicious. Trust me, I’ve tried them all!

Any Foodland supermarket - Foodland is a local grocery store and they just happen to carry what I think of as the best poké out there. Times supermarket also has a great poké selection. There are several types to choose from, my go to is the kim chi kani, sweet and spicy yum! Prices vary depending on how much you get - small containers are usually less than $8.

Matcha Cafe Maiko - 2310 Kuhio Ave. my absolutely favorite spot in general! This green tea ice cream will rock your world for just $6! Staff is super friendly and their sugar cone is absolutely delicious too. Soft serve is my preference but they also carry shaved ice and lattes.

These are places I enjoy going to when I want good food on a budget, it’s fun to get out there and discover new places. Walking around and looking into menus is a great activity on its own after all!

I hope this was helpful and that you have a wonderful stay here in Hawaii

3 Likes

Steak%20Shack

The Steak Shack is a little stand with $8-9 steak plates over rice with good salad.

Also, if you hire a car and are headed out for the day, stop by Safeway on Kapahulu (5 min drive outside Waikiki) and you can get HUGE breakfast wraps for $3!

…and then of course, across the street from Safeway you can get a dozen of Leonard’s Bakery’s malasada doughnuts for $5+

Enjoy!

2 Likes

If you’re on the east side of Waikiki, close to the zoo, walk down Kapahulu Ave for 5 minutes and you’ll see Rainbow Drive-in on the right. THAT is a great place for cheap, local grub. Get a mixed plate and you’ll be set!

1 Like

Me BBQ is really good & cheap Korean mixed plate place. Cash only.

me%20bbq

1 Like

Right above the Walmart, which is just outside Waikiki & down the road from Ala Moana there is a Sams Club on the 2nd floor. Cheap and heavy.

0 Likes

$0.92 coffee at ABC stores.

ABC coffee is $1.04, and if you get the punch card the 9th cup is free.

So ($1.04 X 8) / 9 = $0.92 for one cup.

2 Likes

Where to get Aussie coffee?